Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday How To - Origami Triangle Box

While you might know that I am pretty handy with a pair of pliers, I also have many other crafty interests that I devote my time to - origami being one of them. Origami is like magic - how else can you explain turning a plain sheet of paper into something useful, or simply beautiful?

Today I'm going to show you how to make a simple, practical storage solution - completely out of paper!


Start with a square sheet of paper - I used 4" x 4"


Step 1 - Fold the paper in half, diagonally


Step 2 - Fold the two end points down into the center, to create a diamond


Step 3 - Fold the center point up, into the center of the long edge


Step 4 - Repeat steps 1-3, with two additional pieces of paper


Step 5 - Fit the edge of each long side into the fold "slot" on the next piece


Step 6 - Overlap the short "flaps" to create a bottom on the box

Tada!

You can tape the bottom flat if you like, but remember that traditionally origami uses only paper. The bottom will also lay flat once you put things into it. I make them up from scrap paper to hold coins, paper clips, and they're also especially useful as a container for my rings when I'm working on a chainmaille project.


They'd also be great for Easter to hold jelly beans and other yummy goodies.

What would you use them for?

No comments:

Post a Comment