Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tuesday How To - Origami Lucky Stars

Since I made the comment before about how I get so many remarks on the little paper stars on my table , I thought I'd share with you how to make them.


I fully admit my addiction to anything celestial-themed. They're quick and easy if you need "busy work", too.

Step 1 - Pick your paper

The type of paper you choose is important, depending on how big you are planning to make your stars. For this tutorial, I used "ordinary" printer paper, with a design printed on it - the page is standard 8 1/2 x 11 inches.

Step 2 - Cut your paper


A paper cutter helps with this step since it makes the straightest edges, but you can just use scissors. Take your paper and cut it into 1/2 strips, lengthwise, so the strips will be 11 inches long:


Step 3 - Take one strip and "tie a knot" in it - You have to be gentle with this step so you don't fold it too tight

Fold the paper around:


Pull the "tail" through the loop


Gently flatten the shape- this creates your "base" shape.

Keep wrapping the "tail" around the pentagon, following the sides, and tuck the tail into a flap. 
Dont wrap the star too tight, since you need a little leeway for the next part.

Step 6 - "Dent" the sides in, creating your star - 

All done! 

You can do a lot with these stars - Use them as confetti, string them into garlands, or even make jewelry!
The possibilities are endless!

Now go count your lucky stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment